• You cannot reply to this topic

Sequined Net Bolero

#1 User is offline   lpulice

• Fashion Fan
  • Pip
Group:
Members

Posted 30 July 2006 - 04:12 AM

Hello. I have a net bolero with short sleeves on which dark metallic sequins are sewn. I think it is from the 30's . I bought it in the mid 80's from a vintage dealer in Miami and have kept it (what was I thinking) in a plastic baggy ever since. It has that "closet" smell that won't go away even leaving it outside for days. It has always been very fragile in that the sequins often drop and the net has a few little holes. How do I get the odor out? I now live in a town that can't even launder a man's (good) shirt without ruining it. So I have to do this myself if I want to ever wear it again. Any ideas would be so appreciated. Thank you very much.

#2 User is offline   Pauline

• The Boss - She Can Shop Till She Drops
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Group:
Admin
Interests:
Favourite things - costume history, reading, catwalk fashion design, detective and costume programmes, my beloved husband.

Posted 30 July 2006 - 10:47 AM

You could try filling a bowl with vinegar and putting the bolero nearby it for a few days. The vinegar may absorb the odour. Apples also absorb odours.
I'd avoid leaving items outside overnight as the dew can enable algae to flourish creating a greenish cast.

I am not sure if it would work, but we used to clean real fur collars year ago with fullers earth a white powder which of course needs brushing or shaking out. Bicarbonate of soda also absorbs odours and you could try putting some in a bowl nearby.

I've never used it but again you could spread some cat litter which also absorbs smells onto a piece of newspaper and then lay a rack over that or another piece of mesh net and put your bolero on top. I think cat litter contains fuller's earth.

#3 User is offline   Pauline

• The Boss - She Can Shop Till She Drops
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Group:
Admin
Interests:
Favourite things - costume history, reading, catwalk fashion design, detective and costume programmes, my beloved husband.

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:05 AM

http://www.fishingwi...ullersearth.htm
A link to suppliers of fuller's earth in UK. Can also be used to make old fashioned face masks!

#4 User is offline   lpulice

• Fashion Fan
  • Pip
Group:
Members

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:13 AM

QUOTE(Pauline @ Jul 30 2006, 03:47 AM) View Post

You could try filling a bowl with vinegar and putting the bolero nearby it for a few days. The vinegar may absorb the odour. Apples also absorb odours.
I'd avoid leaving items outside overnight as the dew can enable algae to flourish creating a greenish cast.

I am not sure if it would work, but we used to clean real fur collars year ago with fullers earth a white powder which of course needs brushing or shaking out. Bicarbonate of soda also absorbs odours and you could try putting some in a bowl nearby.

I've never used it but again you could spread some cat litter which also absorbs smells onto a piece of newspaper and then lay a rack over that or another piece of mesh net and put your bolero on top. I think cat litter contains fuller's earth.

Thank you. I have just read this. I'll try a few of these.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users