• You cannot reply to this topic

Regency Modistes Where would they be?

#1 User is offline   jessie

• Fashion Fan
  • Pip
Group:
Members

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:50 PM

I have a question, it is costume related, but not actually about costumes. In Regency times, when a modiste or dressmaker visited wealthy clients in their homes, in what room would they fit their client for clothes and show their commissions? Would it be the drawing room, or is it more likely to be in the client's chamber? Its a smally niggly point, but I want to get it right! Hope someone can help.

#2 User is offline   blueprairie

• Fashionista
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Group:
Members

Posted 15 June 2005 - 03:22 AM

In the US, the "dressmakers" who went from house to house doing sewing for the family did plain sewing for everyone from the babes in arms to great-gramma (this in the days before sewing machines or manufactured clothing). In middle class households they might indeed have used the drawing room, although for some reason in this country the drawing room was usually off limits for everyone but the minister or very important visiting in-laws laugh.gif

The dining room was commonly used for daily family activities, and so that would be one possibility, particularly if the family was a large one and there was no spare bedroom available.

"Modistes" catered to a better class (financially, at any rate) of client. They would not have been received in the drawing room, in fact, they might have been asked to use the servant's entrance. Most large houses for upper class families included a sewing room (again, a spare bedroom might have been used).

My knowledge of modistes in the UK is limited to what I've read in Georgette Heyer wink.gif but I'll bet it was pretty similar. Tradesmen simply weren't allowed in the drawing room if you had any pretensions to genteel-ness.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users